8:30-9 a.m.—Registration and Continental Breakfast
9-10 a.m.—Pharmacy Law and Regulatory Update
Farah Jalloul, Pharm.D., director of professional development, Pharmacy Services Inc., Lansing, Mich., Brian Sapita, governmental affairs manager, Michigan Pharmacists Association, Lansing, Mich. and Larry Wagenknecht, R.Ph., chief executive officer, Michigan Pharmacists Association, Lansing, Mich.
10-11:45 a.m.—National Update: PBM’s, Drug Supply Chain Security Act
Kala Shankle, J.D. , director, policy and regulatory affairs, National Community Pharmacists Association, Alexandria, Virg.
11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.—Lunch
12:30-1:45 p.m.—State Update: Medical Marihuana Recreational Use Law
Andrew Brisbo, director, Bureau of Marijuana Regulation, Lansing, Mich.
2-3 p.m.—Opioid Epidemic Panel: Addiction Trends, Emergency Room Perspective, MAPS
Invited Speakers: Kim Gaedeke, acting deputy director, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Lansing, Mich., Cara Poland, MD, Med, FACP, DFASAM, internal medicine specialist, Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, Mich. and Brad Uren, MD, FACEP, emergency physician, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Mich.
3-4:30 p.m.—DEA Update
Kathy Federico, diversion program manager, Drug Enforcement Administration, Detroit, Mich.
At the end of this activity, participants should be able to:
1. Discuss current and pending legislation pertaining to the practice of pharmacy.
2. Provide an overview of the status of PBM transparency and related issues from a national perspective.
3. Discuss the latest on the Drug Supply Chain Security Act.
4. Discuss the medical marihuana recreational use law.
5. Discuss the pharmacists role in the opioid epidemic.