Michigan Pharmacy Week, Oct. 15-21, 2017
Michigan Pharmacy Week will be recognized Oct. 15-21, 2017. Members are encouraged to celebrate their profession and promote the valuable role of pharmacists during this week and throughout American Pharmacists Month (APhM) in October of each year!
Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA) would like to know about any activities that you're planning for these upcoming observances. Please email Kristina@MichiganPharmacists.org with details of any events you're organizing for this year's Pharmacy Week or Pharmacists Month!
Michigan Pharmacy Week Ideas
- Print off a copy of the official proclamation from Gov. Rick Snyder's office and prominently display it at your practice site. Design a sign to include with it that informs everyone coming into your facility that it's Michigan Pharmacy Week, and explain the critical role of pharmacists and the medication experts and most readily accessible member of the health care team.
- Hang up a That’s My Pharmacist poster at your practice site or near the pharmacy counter. That’s My Pharmacist is a public relations campaign organized by the Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists (MSHP) and MPA Public Affairs Committee. For more information and resources, visit www.ThatsMyPharmacist.com.
- Offer brown bag medication reviews for your patients to showcase the importance of their understanding of all the medications they take. Use the materials included in this toolkit to help plan a brown bag medication review event at your pharmacy or other location. MPA and MSHP’s That’s My Pharmacist Web site has a printable brochure with a detachable medication card as well as a standalone medication card, educational flyers, a poster and more. Access these materials online.
- Set up a display at your pharmacy, health-system or other practice location that highlights some of the key roles of pharmacy professionals and how patients can better utilize the medication expertise of their local pharmacist. If you have extra table space, print off some resources for patients to take home. Visit www.ThatsMyPharmacist.com to access resources that will help you get started. You can also access a new resource created by the MPA and MSHP Public Affairs Committee that's designed to educate other health care providers, legislators and the public on the various areas that pharmacists make an impact. Access the Pharmacists as Providers resource online.
- Hold a coloring contest in your pharmacy for children. It will give them something to do while they wait with their parents for prescriptions. Coloring pages related to pharmacy are available online. Have each participant write their name and age on the sheet when they’re finished, and then hang them up around the waiting area. You could choose winners by certain age groups, or one overall winner for the contest.
- Recognize pharmacy technicians for their valuable contributions on National Pharmacy Technician Day, Oct. 17, 2017. Additional resources to recognize this observance are available at the bottom of the page.
- Utilize Michigan Pharmacy Week logos for your promotional or event materials. Click on the links below to access these graphics.
National Pharmacy Technician Day, Oct. 17, 2017
APhM is celebrated each year in October. As part of this observance, National Pharmacy Technician Day is held on the third Tuesday to honor the hard work and dedication of pharmacy technicians who are on the front lines supporting pharmacists day-in and day-out! On Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, be sure to take the time to celebrate and acknowledge the pharmacy technicians at your practice site.
MPA would like to know about any activities that you're planning for this observance. Please email Kristina@MichiganPharmacists.org with details of any events you're organizing for this year's National Pharmacy Technician Day!
National Pharmacy Technician Day Ideas
The pharmacy technicians on your staff play a pivotal role in the daily activities of the pharmacy, so make sure that they also have a prominent place in your American Pharmacists Month observance and make a point to recognize their work on National Pharmacy Technician Day, Oct. 17, 2017.
- APhA Resources: Here are a few simple ideas shared by the American Pharmacists Association:
- Get decked out: Decorate your pharmacy with banners, posters and balloons that let everyone know its American Pharmacists Month. You can order materials here.
- Coordinate special health events: Work with the pharmacy team to set up an event where they can conduct blood pressure screenings or other pharmacy-based patient care services.
- Host a party: Invite community members to come in for cake and other treats. Give them goodie bags stuffed with educational brochures and other freebies, like magnets, pill cases, tote bags and pens. Volunteer as a greeter and demonstrate the prescription-filling process.
- Change your bags: Encourage your pharmacists to put APhM stickers on pharmacy and prescription bags or other purchases.
- Customize your phone greeting: Change your automated voicemail greeting or answer your phones with something like, “Hello, this is Main Street Pharmacy, where we’re celebrating American Pharmacists Month.”
- Get social: Incorporate APhM messages and events into your Facebook posts, Tweets, blog posts, and other social media activity. Find more social media tips here.
- PTCB Resources: Each year, the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) typically takes several actions to make it easy for organizations to participate in National Pharmacy Technician Day, including a theme, graphic identities, discounts on products and a hashtag for social media. Please watch this page for more details as the observance gets closer.