Thank you for your interest in pharmacy technician training resources published by Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA)! As a bookstore, you are eligible for discounted pricing on the Pharmacy Certified Technician (PCT) Training Manual and PCT Calculations Workbook. MPA has more than 30 years of experience in developing quality pharmacy technician training materials. Discover what our new editions, released in 2018, have to offer. Please read the information below to find out more about our products, view sample content and access order information.
Pharmacy Certified Technician Training Manual
14th Edition, 2018
- Includes updated content and even broader overview to help pharmacy technicians address the challenges of the pharmacy practice today as well as current drug therapies.
- Several new topics have been incorporated into the edition to enhance the pharmacy technician's learning experience, including valuable communication and professionalism skills to use with both patients and colleagues in the pharmacy setting, pain management information that discusses current recommendations in pain management therapy, a substance use disorder overview that provides information over current substance use disorder treatment and therapy including smoking cessation, opioid use disorder as well as patient education resources.
- The first section of the book, “Pharmacy Practice” and "Practice Areas" address pharmacy technician practice settings and critical information about job function and responsibility in the community pharmacy, health-system and long-term care practice. These sections prepares technicians for essentials in pharmacy, including patient and medication safety, laws and regulations, operations, emergency preparedness and clinical opportunities.
- The second section, “Human Systems and Pharmacy Intervention,” helps pharmacy technicians understand how drugs work, gives familiarity to the most common medications and reviews each system of the body.
- Accompanying many chapters are real-life stories from pharmacy technicians around the nation and their perspective on pharmacy practice, bringing home the concepts discussed.
- The accompanying CD-ROM includes a master table of all medications listed throughout the book, an incredible resource and tool for students and practicing pharmacy technicians.
- All review questions have been analyzed and updated, as needed, allowing those who own previous editions room for review and growth.
- MPA also produced a Pharmacy Certified Technician Calculations Workbook, as a necessary companion to this Manual (learn more below).
Pharmacy Certified Technician Calculations Workbook
Fifth Edition, 2018
- Each chapter contains three basic elements: learning objectives, the main text
with step-by-step examples and practice problems.
- The learning objectives will give the reader a broad overview of the core concepts
in each chapter. The main text of the chapters provide key terms and definitions, memorization
charts, formulas and equations to note, as well as real-life situations to which
these calculations are applied.
- Each chapter includes working examples that take the
learner step-by-step through the process.
- At the end of each chapter, practice problems follow that reinforce key concepts
and allow the learner to practically review.
- This workbook comes with an accompanying CD-ROM, which includes answers
to the practice problems, along with the steps needed to solve each problem.
- The Calculations Workbook is intended to be used in conjunction with the
Pharmacy Certified Technician Training Manual, also produced by MPA.
Together, these materials should be helpful in preparing pharmacy technicians for the national certification examination administered by
the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) as well as providing a strong
platform for technician career growth.
Bookstores and distributors are offered discounted pricing on MPA's two pharmacy technician training publications. Prices are effective through Dec. 31, 2019. Please note that prices do not include shipping and handling fees. In order to be eligible for the Bookstore/Distributor pricing above, the company/institution purchasing the products must provide its federal sales tax ID number and complete a credit application. Purchases at this price must be made for resale only. Click here to access an order form for our pharmacy technician training publications.
If you have any questions regarding publication content, please contact Jamie James, MPA communications manager at (517) 377-0232, Jamie@MichiganPharmacists.org, or Dianne Malburg, MPA chief operations officer, at (517) 377-0223, Dianne@MichiganPharmacists.org. If you have any questions regarding publication orders, please contact Mike Wolf, MPA director of technology & facilities, at (517) 377-0231 or Mike@MichiganPharmacists.org.