According to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, individuals seeking a controlled substance license or who is licensed to prescribe or dispense controlled substances shall complete a one-time training in opioids and controlled substances awareness. This requirement applies to controlled substance license renewals beginning with the first renewal cycle after the promulgation of this rule and for initial licenses issued after September 1, 2019.
At the end of this training, the audience will be able to:
1. Explain the appropriate use of opioids and other controlled substances in the medical management of patients and counsel patients accordingly.
2. Discuss integration of common and alternative treatments for pain management.
3. Describe the stigma of addiction and the impact it has on patient care.
4. Explain how to utilize the Michigan Automated Prescription System (MAPS) when prescribing or dispensing controlled substances.
5. Discuss requirements under state and federal law related to prescribing and dispensing controlled substances.
6. Describe security features and proper disposal requirements for controlled substance prescriptions.
This continuing education activity was designed specifically for pharmacists.
Robin Curtis, Pharm.D.; clinical care coordinator, SpartanNash, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Eric Roath, Pharm.D., MBA, clinical care coordinator, SpartanNash, Lansing, Mich.; Rachel Kollmeyer, Pharm.D., clinical care coordinator, SpartanNash, Holly, Mich.; and Amy Ellis, R.Ph., manager of pharmacy services, SpartanNash, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Directions to View Activity and Receive Credit
Click on "Add to Cart" in the right sidebar to purchase the home study course. Upon successful purchase you will receive an email with a PDF version of the article. Read the complete article and then complete the posttest and evaluation by clicking on the blue "Begin Activity" button in the right sidebar.
Please note that MPA's website is compatible with newer versions of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and FireFox. It is not compatible with the Safari platform.
Continuing Education Credit
Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Universal Activity #0112-0000-19-002-H04-P; 2.0 contact hours; Initial Release Date: 4/19/19; Expiration Date: 4/19/22
The authors have indicated that they do not have any conflicts of interest, nor do they have financial relationships with a commercial interest, related to this activity.
To adequately view continuing education articles, please visit the Adobe website for the latest technical specifications for your version of Adobe Reader.
To adequately view continuing education articles, you must have Adobe Reader 6.0+. To download the latest version based on your operating system, please visit the Adobe website.
To adequately view video presentations, you must have at least a Broadband Internet connection with 500+ Kbps.
For questions regarding continuing education, please contact MPA Education Planning Assistant, Andrea Schweitzer, at (517) 377-0225 or Andrea@michiganpharmacists.org