Student Michigan Pharmacists Association (SMPA) is an affiliated chapter of MPA, representing students at Michigan’s three colleges of pharmacy in Michigan: Ferris State University College of Pharmacy, the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy and the Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
Congratulations on starting your career as a pharmacist on the right foot with SMPA membership. As an SMPA member, we’ll keep you up-to-date on what’s happening in the pharmacy world so you can focus on what’s really important: getting your degree!
If you have any questions about SMPA, please contact MPA Professional Affairs Director and staff liaison Farah Jalloul at (517) 377-0224.
- FREE or discounted registration at many MPA events as well as opportunities to participate and volunteer:
- Great opportinitues to network and learn from the professions’s best leaders
- Discounts on registration rates for all other events, including the Pharmacy Law and Policy Symposium in the spring and Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) review in the spring
- Opportunity to volunteer for Pharmacy Day at the Capitol in September, which provides students with one-on-one time with legislators and their staffs to provide wellness demonstrations and educate them on pharmacist education and training
- Free registration for the MSHP Annual Meeting held in October/November
- Low-cost registration for the Annual Convention & Exposition, a three-day event held in Detroit the last weekend in February
- Discounts on all MPA publications, including law review materials
- Free MPA publications sent right to your inbox!
- You’ll receive MPA PRN, our member-only newsletter that’s sent electronically every other Wednesday
- You’ll receive the MSHP Monitor, a monthly publication from the Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists that features residency topics, information on MSHP events that are often complimentary to students and other information that’s pertinent to health-system pharmacy.
- Opportunity to participate in the Michigan Pharmacy Foundation (MPF)’s Adopt-a-Student Program
- Opportunity to apply for MPF scholarships or grants:
- $2,500 annual scholarship (one scholarship awarded at each college of pharmacy in Michigan)
- Opportunity to apply for MPF funding through its annual grant program
- Support from MPA members and staff:
- Networking opportunities
- Answers to law- and regulatory-related questions
- Interaction with the Student Pharmacist Executive Council
After surviving four years of pharmacy school (you can do it!), don’t think that we forget about you. Once you graduate, MPA offers FREE membership through the end of your graduation year. MPA also offers exclusive New Practitioner discounts to recently graduated SMPA members for up to five years after graduation. Student membership is important, but once you graduate, MPA membership is critical to your success as a pharmacist!
Student Pharmacist Executive Council
Established in 2012 after an amendment to the MPA Bylaws was approved, the Student Pharmacist Executive Council communicates actions of the Association to students at each college of pharmacy. The group also communicates the will of the students at each college to the MPA Executive Board, promotes engagement of students in the Association, and promotes community service with the collaborative participation of student pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacists.
The Council consists of three students from each college of pharmacy in Michigan. The chairman and vice chairman are elected by the other representatives serving on the Council. In addition, the chairman serves as a voting member of the MPA Executive Board.
If you have any questions regarding the Student Pharmacist Executive Council, please contact Farah Jalloul, MPA staff liaison at (517) 377-0224.
The cost of your education depends on where you enroll, distance to your hometown and the extent to which public dollars are used to support the pharmacy institution. Whether you’re researching pharmacy education, or already enrolled as a student, utilize the links below for information on ways to help fund your education.
- The American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy offers information and resources for students seeking financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Visit their website for additional information.
- Ferris State University (FSU) student pharmacists can contact student services for information about financial aid opportunities. Call (231) 591-3972 or visit the FSU website.
- University of Michigan (U-M) student pharmacists can contact the Financial Aid Office at U-M. Call (734) 615-6326 or visit the U-M website.
- Wayne State University (WSU) student pharmacists can contact of the Office of Student Financial Aid at WSU. Call (313) 577-2100 or visit the WSU website.
- Michigan Pharmacy Foundation (MPF), an affiliate of Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA), offers a scholarship to one P2 or P3 student at each college of pharmacy in Michigan annually. Applications are due Oct. 1 of each year. Visit the MPF website for additional information or contact Spencer Higgins, MPA membership development manager, at Spencer@MichiganPharmacists.org.
- Capital Area Pharmacists Association (CAPA), a component organization of MPA, offers up to two $500 scholarships annually to individual(s) who meet established criteria. Applications are due in mid-September of each year. Visit the CAPA website for additional information on their scholarship program.
- Genesee County Pharmacists Association (GCPA) offers two student scholarships annually: one $500 scholarship for a pharmacy student and one $250 scholarship for a pharmacy technician student. Applications are due Oct. 1 of each year. Visit the GCPA website for additional information on their scholarship program.
- Western Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists (WMSHP) offers one or more non-renewable scholarship ($500-$1,000) for local pharmacy students. Students must be a P3 in a Michigan college of pharmacy. Applicants must be a native or current resident of the Western Michigan area, in good standing with the college of pharmacy, express interest in health-system pharmacy practice and demonstrate involvement and/or leadership within a professional organization(s). Applications are typically due the first week in April and winners are notified early in May. For more information on the scholarship program, visit the WMSHP website
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Foundation Student Scholarship Program recognizes students who choose to invest their time in their school’s APhA – Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP) chapter to help shape the future of the profession while managing the demands of a full-time pharmacy curriculum. Applicants will be evaluated on their potential to become leaders for the profession of pharmacy, as demonstrated by involvement in school and community activities and academic performance. Visit the APhA Foundation website for more information on their scholarship program.
- The National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) offers a Partners in Pharmacy program that awards scholarships to students pursuing a career in pharmacy. The scholarships recognize student pharmacists for their exemplary academic performance, community service and a demonstrated commitment to independent pharmacy. Visit the NCPA Foundation website for more information on their scholarship program.
Student Pharmacists Quick Links
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy – Current Student Pharmacists
- American Pharmacists Association – Academy of Student Pharmacists
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Pharmacy Student Forum
Michigan Colleges of Pharmacy