Incident Command Systems (ICS) Courses from FEMA
Knowledge of the precepts of incident command is essential to any person involved in disaster response. This organized approach to response allows all responders to work under pre-established guidelines of command and communication that help ensure an organized and successful response effort. These programs are free, and can be completed through the following Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Independent study website addresses:
- IS-200.HCA: Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations
IS 700 is an introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS). After successful completion of each program, a certificate can be printed and saved to show successful completion of these programs.
Continuing Education Credit – These programs are accredited for continuing education credit through the Michigan Board of Pharmacy for three hours each. To earn continuing education credit, simply click on each of the above program links and complete the courses and obtain certificates for each course. Then, complete the Application for State of Michigan CE Credit for FEMA Incident Command Training by clicking here and submit the completed application and copy of the program certificates to Michigan Pharmacists Association who will validate successful completion and return a continuing education certificate to you for your records. Please note that credit for these courses will not be submitted to CPE Monitor; therefore, you must retain the continuing education certificate as proof of completion.
Emergency Preparedness Courses on MI-TRAIN
MI-TRAIN has many emergency preparedness courses pertaining to the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS), mass antibiotic dispensing, CHEMPACK and others. MI-TRAIN also tracks your training and maintains a permanent record of courses completed.
These courses below discuss various pharmaceutical caches and deployment plans. Decisions to request and utilize these caches requires the input and expertise of many partners, including pharmacists, to ensure a fast and efficient pharmaceutical countermeasure response to an emergency situation.
- Michigan CHEMPACK Program Training Module (course ID #1034991 ) – Offers free CE credit through Michigan Board of Pharmacy
- Michigan’s MEDDRUN, CHEMPACK & SNP Programs (course ID #1031785 ) – Offers free CE credit through Michigan Board of Pharmacy
Many other courses are available through MI-TRAIN that you may find relevant and interesting. Simply search the database, enroll yourself (if allowed for that particular program) and learn new things.
MI-TRAIN Log-in Instructions
- Go to https://mi.train.org.
- Click on “Create Account.” You must read and agree with all TRAIN policies.
- Once the account has been created, browse through courses.
- Once you find the course you would like to view, click on “registration.”
- Select “none” under credit type, if there is no pharmacy CE offered for the program (this information should be listed under the course description–if in doubt, select “none”).
- Click on “Launch” to continue
- The course will appear. Follow the course instructions to navigate